Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Raspberry Buttermilk cake

Whenever I use an ingredient for a recipe and I have some left over it really irks me. As I mentioned before I really dislike wastage  I had some buttermilk left over from the pancakes. Surprise surprise...First it was Ricotta and now buttermilk! Haha, well jokes apart I was looking for some nice buttermilk recipes when I came across this one on smittenkitchen. The pictures left me drooling and the rustic look of the cake and its simplicity just clinched it for me. I have pretty much followed the recipe to the tee apart from adding some white chocolate chips, which is quite rare for me as I have a free hand at things and do like to change things around a bit. The combination of raspberries, lemon and buttermilk just didn't need any tweaking in my mind and before I knew it I was in the process of baking. 


The great thing about the recipe was that smittenkitchen from where I got the recipe, had weighed all the ingredients which made it really easy for me. I did not have to use a zillion cups and teaspoon measures to correctly measure the ingredients. I have included both the cup and by weight measures here as well. 

Baking is one of life's best pleasures. I bake when I am happy, I bake when I am sad (I like cheering myself with a sweet something) Well I like to bake almost all the time. I think home baked goodies make the best gifts, the best way to say thank you, I love you and you will be missed. I always like to take a cake to a friend's for dinner. I just really enjoy the process of looking for a good recipe, coming up with your own ideas and then working towards a beautiful finished product to be shared and eaten with your loved ones. So here's a simple everyday cake recipe that smells and tastes of summer. It has a nice crisp exterior and a really light fluffy lemony interior. Its a great recipe to try different fruits, nuts, chocolate combinations-so get creative. Meanwhile I enjoy the fruits of my labour- I think it will be perfect for afternoon tea with a nice cup of tea on the side. Pure Bliss :-)



Recipe                                                                                                                            Print Recipe                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

Recipe adapted from smittenkitchen

Yields a 9 inch cake, serves 8

Ingredients

1 Cup (130g) Plain flour

1/2 tsp (2g) Baking Powder

1/2 tsp (2g) Baking Soda

1/4 tsp Salt

56 g Unsalted butter softened

2/3 cup (146 g)  plus 11/2 tbsp Caster Sugar

1/2 tsp Lemon Zest

1 Large egg (for egg free option use a ripe mashed banana instead)

1/2 cup (118ml) Buttermilk

1 cup (140g)Raspberries

1/4 cup white chocolate chips


Method
Preheat the oven to 200 C. Grease and flour a 9 inch baking tin and keep it aside. In a medium sized bowl whisk together all dry ingredients - the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and keep it aside. In a large bowl beat the butter and sugar until  its pale and fluffy. Now add the vanilla, lemon zest, egg and beat well until its smooth and fluffy. 



Using free range eggs is important in ensuring the hens are happy chooks living a good life and not stored in cages in battery farms. Ensuring this means we eat a healthy product as well. For more information click on Free Range Eggs



Add the flour mixture in three small batches alternating with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour.  Add the chocolate chips and mix everything with a spatula so that it is well combined. Pour the batter into the baking tin. Smooth the top with a spatula. Scatter the raspberries on the top and sprinkle the remaining sugar as well. 





Bake the cake for 20-25 minutes till its golden and cooked through (till a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean) Let the cake cool down before inverting it onto a cooling rack. After it has sufficiently cooled transfer it on a serving plate. 





Enjoy!



Tips: 

How to Make your own Buttermilk:
If you do not have buttermilk at home, you dont necessarily have to buy it. You can easily make your own at home. Add 1 tbsp of vinegar or lemon juice to one cup of milk and let it stand for 10-15 minutes. Buttermilk is ready.

You can pretty much use any fruit you like instead of raspberries. Use mixed berries, blueberries, black berries or even pears (with some bits of chocolate) Might give that a go next time.

This cake is easily overcooked so keep an eye out on it.

To make this cake egg free use a ripe mashed banana instead of the egg.


No comments:

Post a Comment