Friday, April 5, 2013

The Green Goddess - Palak Paneer

Dear Readers,


I am sharing one of my favourite recipes with you - Palak Paneer (Paneer in a spinach sauce) I may have mentioned earlier, this is one of my mother's specialties. Cheese and spinach is a great combination, we all know that but this is pretty special. Soft creamy paneer immersed in a delicious, green spinach sauce, yumm. The problem with me and writing recipes is that I do not follow recipes while cooking, specially Indian food, I like to go with the flow. It's all in my head and I keep tasting and modifying things. So writing recipes does not come naturally to me. Baking is different. I can be quite anal and precise while baking but cooking is all about tasting and adding things, for me anyways. So now that I am sharing a very common favourite of mine, writing quantities is proving a little hard. I have tried to be accurate but feel free to add your own spin to it.


Love,

Cookie


p.s.  Are you a go with the flow kind of cook or a recipe follower?



Recipe                                                                                               Print Recipe

Serves 3-4

Ingredients

300 g Paneer (cut into cubes)

1 Large bunch of spinach (washed & roots trimmed)

1 Onion (chopped)

2 medium Tomatoes (chopped)

2 tbsp Ginger Paste2 cloves Garlic crushed

11/2 tsp Roasted Ground Cumin

1 tsp Chilli Powder

1 tsp Garam Masala

1 Cinnamon stick

Salt to taste

1 tbsp Oil


Method

Wash the spinach thoroughly and then blanch it in boiling water for about ten minutes till tender. Immediately plunge the spinach in cold water to retain the green colour. Puree the spinach using a blender.




Heat the oil in a wok and add the cinnamon stick to it. Now add the onions, ginger and garlic and cook till the onions are translucent. Now add the chopped tomatoes and cook till they soften. Add the cumin and chilli and a tsp of salt and cook for another ten minutes. Pour the spinach puree to the onion-tomato masala and cook for 5-10 minutes and then add the paneer cubes to it. Check the seasoning and add salt if required. Sprinkle the garam masala and let it cook for another 10 minutes. 




Palak Paneer is ready to be served. Enjoy with rotis or parathas.




No comments:

Post a Comment